Alright, another easy to make dessert is here. The reason I chose this apricot quinoa pudding recipe was mainly because I had a whole lot of home-made apricot jam (courtesy of my mom,) a bag of quinoa and a can of coconut milk in the pantry, that have been sitting there for a while.
As I hate wasting food, I thought long and hard of something to make out of these three ingredients. And thus this recipe came to life.
Creating recipes out of ingredients that I really need to use up is one of my favorite activities. It puts me on the spot, therefore helps me think of creative ways to use ingredients. You can check out this simple pudding recipe I came up a while ago as well, just because I wanted to have pudding and I didn’t want to spend a lot of time and effort doing it.
My apricot quinoa pudding is light and refreshing. If you’re looking for a snack that is nutritious and filling, this is a great option. There are various vegan recipes that call for apricot and apricot jam out there. Apricots as an ingredient give a recipe a beautiful color, and a taste of warmth especially when combined with cinnamon and other types of warm spices.
This apricot jam crumble bars recipe caught my eye while surfing the net for apricot recipe ideas. It doesn’t seem hard to make either, thanks to Short Girl, Tall Order. She has other great recipes on her website too. Everybody should check them out!
I usually prefer to create recipes that are nutritious and delicious at the same time. In order for them to be delicious sometimes I have to add things like oil and sugar. I think it’s ok as long they’re consumed sparingly. This recipe doesn’t have any added sugar, but the jam has plenty of sugar.
This apricot quinoa pudding has good nutritional value. A cup of quinoa has about 8 grams of protein, as well a substantial amount of minerals according to SELFNutritionData. Not to mention that it’s filling.
Please let me know what you think if you try making this easy apricot quinoa pudding. Enjoy!
Apricot Quinoa Pudding
- 2 cups quinoa
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups apricot jam, (divided)
- 3 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp corn starch, (optional)
- 2 tbsp pumpkin spice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup chopped dried apricot, (garnish)
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds, (garnish)
- Assemble 1 cup of apricot jam into bowls or glasses and set in the fridge.
- Add 4 tablespoons of water to the cornstarch and mix well There shouldn’t be any clumps left.
- In a large pot add quinoa, the rest of the water, 1 cup of apricot jam, coconut milk, vanilla extract, pumpkin spice and salt and mix well.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 20 minutes while stirring every few minutes.
- Add corn starch and water mixture slowly to top while stirring. Stir for 3 minutes or until pudding thickens.
- In the bowls/ glasses you already assembled in the fridge pour some of the pudding into each one leaving room for garnish, and stick them back into the fridge for an hour.
- Add chopped dried apricot and chopped almonds on top of pudding.
- You can use full fat coconut milk, or even coconut cream if you like it to be more creamy.
- Corn starch is optional. It depends oh how thick you like your pudding.
- You can use either raw or roasted almonds.
- Shredded coconut goes very well as garnish as well.