Mexico celebrates its Independence Day today. In reality September 16th was the day Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla urged his people to start the war of independence against the Spanish regime. September 16th is a national holiday in Mexico and is celebrated with dancing, parades and elaborate fiestas and food! The celebrations commence on Sept 15th nonetheless.
Mexican food is rich and often non-vegan, therefore I took this opportunity to come up with something festive but low fat vegan. Here’s my high carb, low fat vegan Buñuelo Crackers and Dulce de Leche Recipe. This version of Dulce de Leche is creamy but starchy (not in a bad way). It becomes like a pudding which is a plus if you ask me because you can eat it as is or you can use it as a dip. Enjoy!
Buñuelo Crackers and Dulce de Leche Recipe
- 2 large whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (I used oat milk)
- 4 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
Dulce de Leche
- 2 cups non-dairy milk (oat milk)
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 2 tblsp coconut oil
- 10 tablespoons sugar (I used sugar in the raw)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Cut tortillas into cracker shapes.
- In a bowl add 1 cup milk, cinnamon and vanilla, and give them a good stir.
Cover an oven-safe tray with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Submerge each cracker into the milk and cinnamon mixture and lay it out on the tray. Make sure crackers aren’t overlapping.
- Place tray onto the center of the oven and turn down heat to medium. Let them crisp up for 5-10 minutes or until crisp. You can flip them over to make sure they cook evenly.
- Take them out and let them cool.
- For the Dulce de Leche recipe the milk shouldn’t be cold. If it is, warm it up in the microwave for a couple of minutes.
Into a non-stick pan add oat flour, oil sugar, baking powder and vanilla. Turn the heat to high and let sugar melt and start to darken a bit.
Turn down the heat to medium and start adding your milk while stirring vigorously.
- Keep stirring until it becomes of a pudding consistency.