Maqloobeh literally means upturned. The reason why it’s called that is because they turn the pot upside down to serve it. In the Middle East Cauliflower Maqloobeh usually has chicken or meat. Some Christians, during lent, prepare it without the meat but they add oil to it.
This is my high carb low fat version of it.
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower
- 1 cup rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt, salt
- Cut cauliflower and toss into pot.
- Add water.
- Add cumin, cinnamon, turmeric and salt.
- Gently stir.
- Place pot on stove and turn heat to high.
- Bring it to the boil then turn the heat down.
- Let it cook for 20 minutes over low heat.
- Add rice an gently stir.
- Turn up the heat and bring it to the boil again.
- Turn down the heat and let it cook over low heat for 15-25 minutes or until rice is mushy.