This rich cauliflower soup is a recipe especially made for winter. It keeps you full for a long time especially when eaten with bread. I personally prefer flat bread, like pita bread or just homemade flat bread.
The almond butter and canola oil make it hearty, the textured vegetable (soy) protein makes it filling, and the different types of seasoning add a little flare for a result so satisfying!
If you’d like more winter soup ideas here are some links that might strike your fancy:
I chose chopped green onion to garnish this soup for two major reasons. One is because it adds color, and two; because my cauliflower soup recipe already calls for onion, and green onion just complements it with a little bit of zest.
Unlike the smell that it leaves your house smelling (sorry, I had to), the taste is so exquisite, thanks to this small but mighty secret ingredient; cardamom pods.
And as every soup needs some acid, I decided to use apple cider vinegar as a marinate for the TVP.
I added potato to this cauliflower soup to give it a thicker consistency without having to compromise the color scheme.
Nutritional yeast adds a cheesy taste. A little bit goes a long way. I used a nut butter; almond butter to be precise, since I prefer my ingredients to be nutritious, not just for the taste factor. And the reason behind using cauliflower as the base of the soup besides the taste is its mineral and vitamin content. One serving of cauliflower meets the daily recommended amount of vitamin C according to WebMD.
The result is a delicious creamy soup! I hope you try making it, and if you do please don’t forget to share your opinion with us and spread the word.
How to make hearty vegan cauliflower soup
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1 large potato
- 1 large onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 cup textured vegetable protein
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 4-5 pods cardamom
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tbsp allspice
- 4 pinches salt, (to taste)
- 1-2 pinches black pepper
- 1 pinch sugar
- 3 cups water, (divided)
- 1 cup chopped green onion
- Soak tvp in 1 cup of water, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, and 1 tbsp garlic powder
- Chop up cauliflower, potato, onion and garlic, and add to a large potato.
- Add 2 cups of water, vegetable stock, soy sauce, oil and all the spices.
- Bring to a boil and then let it simmer for 30 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Using an immersion blender blend the content of the pot until it reaches a soup consistency.
- Garnish with green onion.