September 2nd is America’s National Grits for Breakfast Day, and in honor of this very special day I made Grits and had it for breakfast. Grits is a Native American food originally. The Southern States of America are known for it. People mainly have it for breakfast. There are both savory and sweet varieties of this corn-based porridge. According to Wikipedia the word “grits” is derived from the the old English word “grytt” which means coarse meal. Grits have been Georgia’s official prepared food since 2002.
And here’s my sweet Grits for Breakfast Recipe. Enjoy!
Vegan Grits Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups soy milk (slightly sweetened)
- 1 cup grits
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- Pour 2 cups of water into a pot and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, pour 2 cups of milk into a bowl and pour grits into it while stirring. Try to completely dissolve grits.
- Pour the grits and milk mixture into the simmering water while stirring.
- Let grits thicken over medium heat for 10-20 minutes. You need to keep stirring throughout the 10-20 minutes so it doesn’t clump.
- Add raisins and mix them with grits.