There are so many variations of nacho and queso recipes on the internet, especially vegan ones. This recipe was basically inspired by most of them. My Low Fat Vegan Nachos and Queso recipe is great for parties and get-togethers. It can be a bit messy though but it’s definitely worth it.
Here it is. Enjoy!
Vegan Low Fat Nachos and Queso
- 4 large low sodium whole wheat tortillas (or any kind of low fat and low sodium tortilla.
- juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 large potato
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/4 chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped black olives
- 1/4 cup sweet corn
- 1/4 cup kidney beans, or any type of beans
- In a bowl add lemon juice, water, garlic powder, chili powder and paprika, and mix well.
- Cut tortillas into nacho chip triangles.
- Cover an oven-safe plate or tray with parchment paper.
- Take each nacho chip and submerge it in the liquid mixture and then take it out immediately and place it onto the plate/tray.
- Do this for all the nachos, or just some of them. You can leave some plain.
- Preheat oven for 10 minutes.
- After you lay out all the nachos on plate/ tray make sure they’re no overlapping.
- Place tray into oven and let nachos crisp up.
- You can use the microwave for this step too, but of course it doesn’t take as long for the nachos to become crispy in the microwave so keep an eye on them. You can microwave them for two minutes then flip them over and do 2 more minutes. It depends on your microwave.
- Take them out and air them out.
- In a medium bowl add oats and 1 1/2 cups of water. Cook in the microwave for 4 minutes.
- Wash and peel potato and carrot.
- Chop potato and carrot and toss them into a pot.
- Wash cauliflower and add to pot.
- Add 1 1/2 cups water and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and let it simmer over medium heat for 15-25 minutes or until mushy.
- Add cooked oats, boiled potato, carrot and cauliflower and the water in the pot to a blender. Then add nutritional yeast, lemon juice, tomato paste, garlic powder, onion powder, sweet paprika, turmeric and salt and blend until smooth.
- Assemble your nachos on a plate, then garnish them with your tomato, bell pepper, olives, corn and beans.
- Pour your queso over them.
- Wet nachos will need more time to crisp up than dry ones so be careful.
- You can also add parsley and/or lettuce to your garnish.