A pasta post! Yes, it’s finally here. Yes, it’s high in carbs, yes, it’s low in fat, but it’s so full of goodness! I love this beautiful spicy mushroom penne pasta dish. It has carbs, spice and marinara sauce with mushrooms! The perfect comfort food. It’s also easy to prepare; which makes it one of my go-to recipes for when I’m hungry and tired at the same time.
I know the marinara sauce takes some time to make, but it’s worth it at the end. Here’s a tip; you can use store-bought marinara sauce, and just add mushrooms to it. Easy, right? Of course, you’d need to find a low fat marinara sauce if you want a low-fat dish.
If you’re adventurous, you can also sprinkle some nutritional yeast on top. I’ve tried it, and it tastes yummy. It makes it more savory and decadent. Adding a splash of plant-based milk to the marinara sauce is also a great idea.
You can definitely substitute the red pepper powder for any spicy condiment you prefer, or you can just leave it out if you’re not into spicy food. I just find that it gives it a little kick. I’m not a fan of really spicy food. I’ve been diagnosed with gastritis some time ago and overly-spicy food upsets my poor stomach; it becomes like an angry baby demanding immediate attention, but doesn’t shut up no matter what you do.
This spicy mushroom penne pasta can be gluten-free when made with gluten-free pasta. It’s also soy-free, and not to mention VEGAN!
So what are you waiting for?! Don’t just take my word for it, go try it yourself! ^_^
Vegan Spicy Mushroom Penne Pasta Recipe
Mushroom Marinara Ingredients:
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- 1 pinch dried mint
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 pinches salt
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp red pepper powder
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 8 oz penne pasta
- 3 cups water
- 2 pinches salt ((to taste))
- Chop tomatoes and put in a pot.
- Add the rest of the mushroom marinara sauce ingredients except for the mushroom and stir.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover pot and leave sauce to cook over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile bring 3 cups of water to a boil in another pot.
- Add pasta and salt and stir. Then leave the pasta to cook over medium heat for 12 minutes. Gently stir every 2 minutes.
- When the marinara sauce reaches the desired consistency add mushroom and mix well for 5 minutes. Then turn off the heat and wait until the pasta is ready.
- When pasta is ready drain the water and serve in the desired serving plate/bowl and add marinara sauce onto it.